Teaching at EIU Language Center
EIU Language Center’s mission is to “Proudly serve the community”. The ability to use English well opens so many doors for Vietnamese people and we know that our teaching provides a gateway to success for our students. At EIU Language Center we are focused on providing lessons that meet and exceed the expectations of our students.
The Center recognizes that having well-trained, happy and motivated teaching staff is integral to our ability to fulfill our core mission. At the center we recruit teachers with over three years post-qualification experience. That means you will be working with a team of committed, professional language teachers.
Working for EIU, you will be able to gain valuable experience through the range of classes we teach. Every day brings a fresh challenge and something new. Of course, we do not just rely on each other’s experience to grow our school. We offer a comprehensive range of in-house training. We also encourage our teachers to get higher level teaching qualifications, and we support them in their studies.
We know that in order to work well, a teacher needs to be happy in their life outside work. The salary package and free accommodation the center offers will allow you to have a very comfortable lifestyle at the same time as saving money. We also have a generous annual leave policy, allowing our teachers to refresh and experience all that Vietnam has to offer.
The majority of teachers at EIU extend their contract beyond their initial one-year commitment. This demonstrates how working at EIU offers professionally-minded teachers a fantastic opportunity to develop professionally and personally. We hope that you will consider applying to join our team.
Teach a maximum of 24 contact hours per week (which includes evening and weekend work). 20 contact hours is the norm but occasionally teachers will be required to cover holidays and teacher illnesses for up to 24 hours per week.
Regardless of the teaching load, teachers will be paid the full monthly salary. It is required that teachers are at the workplace for eight (8) hours a day to fulfill the contracted 40-hour work week. During this time teachers are expected to:
- Prepare and deliver lessons in a timely and professional manner.
- Keep class registers and work logs up-to-date.
- Monitor students’ progress and mark written work.
- Prepare, conduct and mark mid-term and final course tests.
- Complete administrative tasks, as required.
- Plan courses.
- Build a materials/resource base.
- Placement test prospective students.
- Be involved in professional development opportunities.
- Undertake any additional tasks, as required by the Manager.
Salary and benefits
- Net salary of US$1850-$2100/ month.
- 5-day working week, with 2 consecutive days off.
- 40 total working hours/ week, with all teaching-related duties fully paid.
- Contract completion bonus of $1600.
- 30 days paid leave/ year.
- Company accommodation provided (in a 3-star hotel located a two-minute walk from the language center).
- Health check, work permit and work visa paid by the school.
- Health insurance provided.
Requirements to teach at EIU Language Center
For visa purposes, we require teachers to provide the following documents before an employment contract can be finalized.
- Undergraduate degree.
- CELTA or equivalent certification (with minimum 6 hours of observed lessons).
- Clean police check.
To meet the needs of the school, we also require that teachers:
- Are willing and able to teach both teenagers and adults at every language level.
- Have more than 3-years post-qualification experience.
- Are willing to work weekends and evenings.
- Are prepared to teach both in-person and online classes.
- Are prepared to teach up to 24 hours/ week, in accordance with the needs of the school.
What ideal candidates offer
Candidates who can offer the following will be given special consideration:
- Experience teaching General English, Business English, English for Specific Purposes and/or Exam Preparation courses to teens and adults.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, time management, and organisational skills.
- Adaptability and cultural awareness.
- Willingness to take on non-teaching duties to make the school a better place to study and work.
- Familiarity with word/office/PPT.
What’s great about living in Thu Dau Mot City?
The majority of our teachers stay in the 3-star hotel next to the building in which the school is located- it really can’t be any more convenient than that! Rent is paid by the company (teachers only pay for utilities) so it is a great opportunity to save money. Rooms in the hotel are spacious (basic rooms are 44m2) and comfortable. They have gas rings and a microwave for those who prefer to cook for themselves, and there is a free weekly cleaning service. Teachers staying in the hotel can use the hotel’s gym and swimming pool, and there are also two restaurants and a café. For teachers who prefer to rent their own apartments, quality accommodation can be found nearby at about half the price of an equivalent property in Ho Chi Minh City.
When teachers want to eat out, there is something to fit almost every taste and budget. Within easy walking distance of the hotel there are Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Vegetarian, and pizza restaurants. There are also plenty of bars and BBQ restaurants to choose from. Social life in the area is good, and there is an active ex-pat community.
There are also lots of options for shopping. There is everything from local markets to a megastore within easy reach of the school. Whether you are looking for delicious fresh fruit, imported food, or the latest styles, you’ll be able to find it close-by. For harder to find items, there’s always Ho Chi Minh City which is only 15 miles away. When going to Ho Chi Minh City, there are numerous transport options. The hotel even provides a free shuttle bus every week from Friday to Sunday and the local buses, which are very cheap, run until 6 p.m. every day. Other options include using taxis (about 350,000 VND), or a grab bike (150,000 VND).
Other popular destinations for our teachers include nearby Vung Tau, (2.5 hours by bus), Cu Chi (45 minutes), Can Tho (3.5 hours), or Mui Ne (3.5 hours).
About the school
The school was opened in 2012 with its mission of “Proudly serving the community”. It offers a modern and spacious environment in which to work. Classrooms are comfortable and each is fitted with a computer and projector. We encourage our teachers to use technology in their classes. The teachers’ room is large and well-equipped with a good variety of supplementary resources. Every teacher has their own desk and computer. There is a welcoming atmosphere and teachers enjoy socializing together.
The majority of our teaching takes place in the evenings and at weekends so teachers are expected to be available at those time. In the evenings we typically teach General English and IELTS classes for adults and older teenagers, and at the weekend we teach younger teenagers. We use well-known textbooks from major publishers, and teachers can use resources from the textbooks for extra practice in lessons and to give homework. We also encourage teachers to be creative in designing their own materials.
We teach classes of up to 20 students, although a lot of classes are smaller. Many of our students study with us for a long time, and teachers have the opportunity to get to know their students well. All of our teaching is done in English, using the communicative approach, so our teachers know that what they are teaching will be useful for their students in their education and careers outside our classrooms. We teach students at all levels from beginner to advanced. To support our lower level teen students, our weekend classes have a Vietnamese speaking teaching assistant.
Want to apply? Email your CV and a Cover letter to email@example.com